Wapda stun FATA in All-Pakistan Shama Challenge Football Cup [Frontier Post]

Wapda stun FATA in All-Pakistan Shama Challenge Football Cup [Frontier Post]

PESHAWAR: Wapda stunned FATA in a thrilling 2-1 battle in the ongoing All-Pakistan Shama Challenge Football Cup being played here at Sumbal Khan Football ground, Qayyum Sports Complex on Monday.

President FATA Olympic Association Shahid Khan Shinwari was the chief guest on this occasion and before the start of the match the players of both Pakistan Wapda and FATA were introduced to him. Organizing Secretary Basit Kamal, officials and large number of spectators were also present on this occasion and witnessed the thrilling match.

The match was started on a slow note and the first 20-minute player none of the team could be able to score any goal. It was in the 21st minute when left winger Arif Mehmood slammed in a beautiful goal on the penalty kick.

This was Zulfiqar Shah and Syed Arif in the front-line exchanges the ball right from the center line and when they reached in the danger zone Zulfiqar Shah was intercepted wrongly by deep defenders of FATA Atiq-ur-Rehman international. Referee Anwar on this signaled the spot which was nicely taken by Arif Mehmood, the left winger.

The players and FATA officials did not agree with the decision of the referee and they did some resistance but later on the game was started again. After taking lead, Pakistan Wapda kept pressure to double the lead but they were failed due to tight marking by FATA defenders.

The team of FATA played well against strong side of Pakistan Wapda and thus the first-half was ended in favour of Pakistan Wapda at 1-0. Soon after the resumption of the second-half, Wapda doubled the lead through Zulfiqar Shah on the field attempt.

On the other hand FATA after conceding two goals, managed their position accordingly and with fine inroads got two easy goal opportunities. This was Hazma Shinwari whose attempt went wide from the empty goal-post before dodging three defenders and even the onrushing goal-keeper and secondly Khalid failed to score an easy goal.

It was in the 87th minute when this time Hamza slammed in a beautiful goal on the field attempt to reduce the margin 2-1. In the dying moments FATA kept up pressure to level the tally 2-2 but failed, thus Wapda won the match by 2-1.

Amin Ullah supervised the match while Abdur Rehman and Syed Imtiaz Ali Shah acted as deputy referees while Qazi Asif was the match commissioner.

Published by The Frontier Post, 10 October 2016