Army, PCAA storm into Challenge Cup quarters [The News]

Army, PCAA storm into Challenge Cup quarters [The News]

KARACHI: Army and Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (PCAA) blasted their way into the quarter-finals when their Group C match of the National Football Challenge Cup 2019 ended in a 2-2 draw at the Tehmas Khan Stadium in Peshawar on Sunday.

Mohammad Saeed put PCAA on the front foot in the sixth minute. However, Mohammad Nasir levelled for Army in the 12th minute. At half time, the match was evenly poised 1-1.

In the 51st minute, Nasir hit his second to provide a 2-1 lead to Army. PCAA showed great prowess on the field and created a superb opportunity in the 63rd minute which was converted by Mohammad Waheed to bring parity.

After the equaliser, both sides went all out but failed to strike.

Meanwhile, in an inconsequential outing at the Qayyum Sports Complex, PFF Tigers held Railways to a 1-1 draw.

Nek Mohammad put Tigers ahead in the 13th minute. Arsalan levelled it with an 86th minute strike for Railways.

On Monday (today), holders Pakistan Air Force (PAF) will face WAPDA in the first quarter-final at Tehmas Khan Stadium.

Published in The News, 29 July 2019

Dawn adds:

PESHAWAR: Pakistan Air Force (PAF) and Pakistan Police from Group ‘A’ and Khan Research Laboratories (KRL) and Wapda from Group ‘B’ reached the quarter-finals of the National Challenge Cup here at the Tehmas Khan Football Stadium on Saturday.

Defending champions PAF advanced with an unblemished record from their group, winning all three games to top the section while Police edged National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) on goal difference to advance as runners-up after both teams finished on four points. Asia Ghee Mills (ASM) ended fourth after losing all three of their games.

KRL’s goalless draw with Wapda sent them through as Group ‘B’ winners on goal difference after the two teams ended with seven points each. In the same group, Karachi Port Trust ended their campaign on a victorious note, edging past winless Karachi United 1-0 through Mohammad Fareed Ahmad’s 21st-minute strike.

Published in Dawn, July 29th, 2019