Islamabad, Police move to quarter-finals [Pak Observer]

Islamabad, Police move to quarter-finals [Pak Observer]

Peshawar—Islamabad and Pakistan Police qualified for the quarter-finals of the ongoing All-Pakistan Shama Challenge Football Cup being played here at Sumbal Khan Football ground, Qayyum Sports Complex on Friday.

Former Pakistan team skipper and coach Gohar Zaman was the chief guest on this occasion and before the start of the matches the players of the teams were introduced to him. Gohar Zaman in his brief chat with the players also lauded KP Football Association for organizing the event in which top 12 teams of the country are taking part. Organizing Secretary Basit Kamal, former Pakistan team skipper Qazi Asif, officials, players and large number of spectators were also present.

In the first match Islamabad held PIA in the group-B match to a 1-1 draw. Before this match Islamabad also played a draw with KP White team and thus moved to the quarter-finals while Police with a draw and a loss against PTV entered into the quarter-finals from group-A. PTV with a draw and a win also moved to the quarter-finals from the same group.

Islamabad and PIA players exhibited excellent play with some beautiful inroads were also witnessed during the 90-minute match. PIA left winger Shakir Lashari opened the account in the 14th minute through field attempt while Islamabad’s Muneeb slammed in a beautiful goal in the second session to tie the tally 1-1. The two teams raided on each other territory but failed to score and thus both got one point each.

In the other match PTV defeated Police by 2-1. Both PTV and Police exhibited excellent display and received thundering applauses from the sitting spectators. It was in the 9th minute when Jameel, the right winger of PTV slammed in a beautiful goal on the field attempt before receiving a free ball from the mid-field Rizwan.

After taking early goal leed, PTV kept up pressure to double the lead and they were succeeded in when center striker Salahuddin netted another superb goal to make the tally 2-0. After 2-0, PTV lost an edge over the match but they were leading by 2-0 at half-time.

It was the second session play when Pakistan Police despite conceding two goals, managed their position and succeeded in reducing the margin in the 56th minute when Muneeb slammed in a long distance kick into the right corner of the goal-post by leaving PTV goal-keeper guessing. Police players tried their hard to level the tally but failed and thus PTV won the match by 2-1.

Amin Ullah and Anwar Khan supervised the matches as main referees while Syed Imtiaz Ali Shah, Abdur Rehman, Alliuddin acted as deputy referees.—APP

Published in Pakistan Observer, 8th October 2016