PFF Cup continues despite threats of disciplinary action; Karachi United, Police win [Express Tribune, Dawn]

PFF Cup continues despite threats of disciplinary action; Karachi United, Police win [Express Tribune, Dawn]

KARACHI: Despite threats of disciplinary action against them from Sindh Football Association (SFA) president Khadim Ali Shah, teams and departments continued to compete at the Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) Cup on Friday in Karachi.

The PFF Cup is being organised by Lahore High Court (LHC)-appointed administrator Asad Munir. It is a decision that has been welcomed by local players and clubs alike, especially considering the cancellation of the Pakistan Premier Football League (PPFL) and PFF Division B League due to the ongoing power struggle between two groups claiming to be the rightful PFF office-bearers.

Khadim, who supports the Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat group, had issued a letter to the teams last week, warning them to not to compete at ‘an unauthorised tournament’, stating that participating clubs will be ‘taken to task and served disciplinary actions’.

However, PPFL club KPT manager Shah Naeem believes that SFA’s warning is not specific. “We want to play football and we will be taking our team to Lahore to compete in the second round of the tournament,” Naeem told The Express Tribune.

The KPT manager added that the letter does not specify any tournament. “We are also hosting matches at the KPT Stadium,” he said. “A warning letter was issued but they haven’t mentioned any tournament. We are competing because the administrator is appointed by the LHC and it’s high time that football returned to the country.”

Meanwhile, tournament director Rauf Bari said only division B teams Social Welfare Trust and Hazara Coal Company withdrew their participation.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 30th,  2016.

KARACHI: Karachi United began their bid to reach the final round of the Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) Cup with a bang while Zakirullah helped Police eke out a win on Friday.Fazal Mohammad and Asif Khan scored two goals each as United thrashed Gwadar Port Authority (GPA) 4-1 to take early charge of Group II as Police scraped past Sindh Government Press (SGP) 2-1.

United were rampant in the first half at the KPT Stadium with all their goals coming in the opening 45 minutes.

Fazal opened the scoring in the fifth minute with Asif doubling their advantage in the 24th.

KU vs GPA.

United went 3-0 up eight minutes later with Fazal scoring his second before Asif completed his brace four minutes before half-time. Pervaiz Pehchan pulled one back for GPA in the 51st.

Police remain behind United on goal difference after the first round of matches in the group after they won at the KMC Stadium.Sher Hassan fired them into the lead midway through the first half but Mohammad Waqas levelled matters in added time of the opening period.

Zakir then scored what proved to be the winner in the 71st.The two top teams from the group advance to the final round, which begins from February 9.

Meanwhile, the Group IV match between Higher Education Commission and Sui Northern Gas Pipelines in Islamabad was postponed due to rain.

Published in Dawn, January 30th, 2016