KESC beat PIA to win RLCA Ramazan Cup final

KESC beat PIA to win RLCA Ramazan Cup final

Karachi Electric Supply Corporation (KESC) defeated 9 time national football champions Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) 2-1 in the final of 1st All Pakistan RLCA Ramzan ul Mubarak Flood-lit Football Cup at the RLCA Stadium in Korangi#5, Karachi yesterday night 13 August 2012.

PIA took lead in the 26th minute when Shakir Lashari’s cross from right side found Abdul Jabbar Jr and he scored to make it 1-0. But KESC responded back with international striker Muhammad Rasool levelling the score in 31st minute with his powerful kick from 25 meters hitting the net.

Two minutes later KESC captain Muhammad Essa’s cross in the penalty box found Abid Ghafoor who  headed home to score. KESC lead 2-1 at half time.

During the Interval, a spectacular firework demonstration took place at the ground because of the coming 65th Pakistani Independence Day festivities for 14 August.

Both the teams not to score any goal in the second half.

There was drama in the 70th minute when PIA management took their players to the sideline after the referee disallowed their equaliser from Zeeshan Ali after it was given. Witnesses said when Zeeshan’s shot went into the net the line-man signalled it for a goal which was also endorsed by the main referee. But the decision sparked protest in the KESC camp as according to them the ball had sneaked in from outside through the torn net. After taking input from his assistants and the match commissioner referee Anees Akhtar disallowed the goal.

During the hot debate in the middle, KESC’s Aurangzeb Junior was also shown red card after he had pushed one of the referees. The dispute lasted for around five to six minutes before PIA coach Shamim Khan showed great sportsman spirit and asked his players to resume the game. “It was a hundred percent goal which was disallowed,” Shamim told ‘The News’ on Tuesday.

“If a referee once gives the goal even if it is wrong he should not backtrack. The referee reversed his decision after he was pressurised by KESC players,” said Shamim.

“It was sad that we lost the match. I did not want to disturb the show and so told my players to resume it after the incident but still I am not happy with what happened,” said Shamim, dejectedly.

The referee is responsible for the whole episode as it is his duty to check before the match the condition of the net. The ten-man KESC had to struggle in the last twenty minutes.

“PIA looked awesome during the final moments but we kept our nerves and maintained the lead,” KESC manager Zabe Khan said.

“It was a fine victory as both the teams played really well,” KESC skipper Mohammad Essa told The News’ Alam Zeb Safi. “The victory is a morale-booster for us ahead of the Premier League and I believe that we will take a nice start in the marathon starting next month,” the play-maker said.

Jury declared Port Qasim Authority for Fair Play Trophy, Mohammad Rasool of KESC was Best Player of the Tournament, Best Goalkeeper was Amir Gul (NBP), Top Scorer Mohammad Bin Younus (KPT), Best Referee Anis Akhtar (DFA Malir) and Best Assistant Referee Habib Ullah (DFA West)

WC (R) Pervaiz Saeed Meer, Director Competition and Development of Pakistan Football Federation presented Winner and Runner up trophies to the respective captains and also distributed the prizes amongst the players. Organizing Secretary Rashid Latif presenting Shields to the guests. Mr. Amir Moeen Pirzada, MPA, Mr. Khalid Ahmed MPA, Mr. Tariq Lutfi, Ex National Coach, President DFA Malir Fateh Mohammad Baloch, Secretary Shahid Taj, Vice Presidents of DFA East Mr. Syed Usman Shah and Zamirul Islam, Vice Presidents DFA Central Saleem Patni and Mohammad Shamim, Director Tournament Syed Nasir Ismail, are also present on the occasion.

Referee Anees Akhtar supervised the match while Habibullah and Abrar Hussain supported him on the line, fourth official Saleemuddin Babar. Riaz Ahmed was the Match Commissioner.


KESC (2) : Mohammad Rasool 31, Abid Ghafoor 33

PIA (1) : Abdul Jabbar Jr 26